BISV Halloween Door Decoration is Back!

Previously published December 7, 2021.

Previously published December 7, 2021.

With the changing color of the leaves and the soothing touches of the wind, we welcome autumn. We can all appreciate the coolness after this year’s scorching hot summer.  However, there is something that awaits us around the corner: Halloween! Whether you are a growing child or a working adult, there is always something to be excited about in the spooky season. This year, BISV is back with its Halloween door decorating, a long-standing tradition in the school that we’ve all missed after a year of online school. Each homeroom class is responsible for decorating their own door, motivated by the grand prize of a class pizza party. Although the winners of this year’s competition have already been decided, I would like to do an evaluation of all participant’s creations myself.

Katherine Niu (’23)

Starting with the third floor, I was shocked at first glance by room 351, who decided to go with a theme of carnival horror. The clown has  its jaw dropped open, revealing it’s dark cavity filled with bloody handprints. The design of the clown eerily resembles Pennywise, with its teeth colored with intricate details that adds to its creepy atmosphere. In terms of spookiness, I would have to give this room a 10/10.

Katherine Niu (’23)

On the second floor, the most eye-catching design would have to be from the Engineering Room. The students of this room covered two whole doors with cutout drawings that followed the theme of The Nightmare before Christmas. Having had a bigger canvas to work on, the students were able to create a dazzling depth effect through the creation of background, midground, and foreground. The lines and movements are clean and smooth, with the pumpkins at the front adding a warm pop of color. I did hear that Dr. Huet gave out extra credits for those that came outside of homeroom to work on it. No wonder the door was so well done.

However, I would say that my favorite door is Mr. Ferguson’s, located at 123 on the first floor. It depicts an alien abducting adorable little cows through its UFO on a calm, quiet night.The use of moving lights from the bottom of the 3D saucer brings the whole scene to life, adding a playful element to this year’s Halloween celebration.

In the end, the spirit of Halloween is not about competition, but to have fun with your friends and family. Through this school-wide project, many homerooms were able to bond together and express their creativity. Just like it was a fun experience to decorate these doors, I’m sure many also found it a fascinating experience to walk through the school building and enjoy all the beautiful art pieces.