Interview with Ms. Mujic

Previously published December 7, 2021.

Previously published December 7, 2021.

Q: Please introduce yourself to the BISV students!

Hello Bobcats! My name is Ms. Mujic, and I’m the new school counselor here. I’m very excited to be a part of this community; I’ve gotten to know a lot of students here so far and they are a group of [how would I describe you all] passionate and energetic learners. I really do think that as much as I’m here to support all of you, you guys teach me something new every day and inspire me in a new way. Here is some of the work I do as a school counselor: I work very closely with the deans and, while the deans are here to primarily support students in their academics, I focus more on the social emotional learning and development. I work with students to help them become more self-aware, to talk about how they can manage their emotions, and to talk about how they can work well with others.

Q: What is your favorite part about being a school counselor?

Being a school counselor is really awesome, and the reason I love it so much is because I’m in a position where I can offer a safe place where students can feel free to express themselves and be who they want to be; I can serve as a source of support to all of you here. Another thing that I really like about my job is that I’m in a position where I can advocate for students, and I do that a lot by being able to collaborate with the students, teachers, and families so they can think about the best ways to help the student become successful as well as helping them overcome any challenges they are facing.

Q: Do you have any emotional strategies you would like to share with the BISV students?

I want students to know that there are so many resources out there to help you if you are feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, or just not feeling the happiest. Don’t feel hesitant to reach out for support! I always tell students that reaching out for help is a big sign of strength. I am here and available to help you all if you need information on specific issues; I consider myself a resource hub to all of you regarding any social and emotional topics.
For some of the emotional coping strategies, I’d say that there are three primary ones that I always focus on. The first one is just learning to become more self aware, and what I mean by that is to just understand a little more about yourself (what you’re thinking or feeling and a way you could do that is by talking to people). I’m always available to talk! Others prefer to self-reflect as some like to journal. What I also talk about a lot with students is about mindfulness. It’s a practice where you’re really trying to focus on the present and notice the feelings or sensations that you might be having right here and right now.
A second strategy is breathing. I always tell students to take a few minutes to take some deep breaths. If you don’t know where to start, inhale through your nose for four seconds, hold that breath for four seconds, and then exhale for four seconds through your mouth. It forces your body to relax, and it has been shown to improve concentration.
Finally, think about what you’re thinking! Take the time to examine your thoughts, because sometimes we can have negative thoughts. If you experience any, pay attention to that thought and you might choose to write it down and refrain from it in a way that is more positive!

Q: What are some of your favorite international dishes to make?

Something I’ve been learning to do is cook. I would love to travel the world, but that’s not very feasible for me at the moment, so I thought I could explore and learn about different cultures through cuisine. In college I took a humanities course and had to do a project where I tasted different cuisines, and it was amazing! Now I want to take that up a notch and actually try to replicate some of those dishes or try to cook some more international dishes. Right now I’ve been focusing a lot on European and Italian dishes like pastas and pizzas. Those are my favorite because they are so versatile. I’m also dabbling into Spanish and Mediterranean cuisines. My goal for next year is to start making some South Asian and East Asian dishes!

Q: Did your Bichon-Poodle mix dog and Siamese Lynx Point cat get along well when they first met?

My pets don’t actually live in the same house. My dog lives with my parents and I see him every day, but my cat lives with me in my home. A lot of people ask me if I’m a cat or dog person and I’m like “don’t make me choose!” They did meet on a couple of occasions and they didn’t necessarily get along. My cat hissed at my dog. I think it’s because my dog is very energetic and my cat is just territorial (she questions humans, let alone other animals). I’m hoping to eventually get them to live under one roof!

Q: Do you listen to music?

I listen to whatever that’s one the radio! As of right now, I really love Ed Sheeran’s music. I like to listen to very upbeat music especially when I’m driving to work. I have also been listening to Olivia Rodrigo; I really like “Good For You”!

Q: Do you have anything else you would like to say to the students?

Don’t be shy, stop by, and come say hi! You don’t have to have something necessarily to talk about; I just want to get to know everyone!