Teachers Talk Books

Previously Published Jan. 5, 2023
Teachers Talk Books
Want to read yet don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, the BISV Quill has your back. Here is a list of books recommended by your very own teachers, a certified list of only the most qualified individuals. With the variety of books on this list, you are sure to find something interesting.

Ms. Silva

After careful consideration, Ms. Silva settled on Lord of the Rings, a book that I believe many have probably heard of. Despite being a popular series among kids, Ms. Silva notes that The Hobbit lovers should definitely try Lord of the Rings, which was her favorite series for a long time. Ms. Silva’s love for Lord of the Rings is further expressed when recounting her childhood: “When Lord of the Rings movie came out every Christmas, it was like a Christmas present to me. It was the first big fantasy series and my first experience in a well-crafted, fantasy world.” Along with precise and detailed descriptions, this short yet well-articulated narrative gives a direct, first-hand account of an expert who read The Lord of the Rings for the first time. So, please give this a try if you haven’t already!

Mx Barnett

A Latin teacher would definitely recommend a Roman mythology book…right? Surprise, surprise! With no hesitation, Mx. Barnett recommended The Stange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, a Gothic horror book (she is sure not an ordinary language teacher…). What makes this book more enjoyable is its exploration of the human psyche, as well as the damage caused by civilization. As Mx. Barnett’s final message to those out there, she reveals that this is “a book that most people misunderstand—it’s not about the good or evil but the civilization versus primal instincts of a human.”

Ms. Settle

In contrast to all the other books on this list, Ms. Settle’s favorite book is a nonfiction book, How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. This book addresses racism, a key aspect that has shaped the United States into what it is today. Hence, it is necessary that we discuss and find a solution that has plagued our country for so many years. Ms. Settle says, and I paraphrase, “It is not enough to be not racist, you have to be actively anti-racist.” A good message to all, I am sure reading this book will give us plenty of new insights on racism, and how to approach it. Being so pertinent to our age right now, there is no better time to check out this book. On a final note, Ms. Settle finds everything by this author to be absolutely amazing, so please feel free to check their other books out.

Ms. Banga

As a literature teacher, Ms. Banga’s recommendation is definitely one to consider! Contrary to what many students have expected (especially certain students who’ve thought that she would recommend the iconic Leaves of Grass), Ms. Banga’s ultimate recommendation for students is actually The book, Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. This book is, as Ms. Banga puts it, “about a god being accidentally turned into a turtle.” Although sounding funny, it provides an interesting perspective on religion and how we treat it. Through the satirizing of religious practices and institutions, Small Gods is both a funny and thought-provoking piece of literature.

Mr. Brady

Any fans of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? Then Mr. Brady has the perfect recommendation for you. The Wildwood trilogy, by Colin Meloy, is a fantasy series with a world completely different from ours. Mr. Brady describes the book as “sarcastic talking animals in political warfare” and “a young hyperliterate girl trying to save her infant little brother.” In Mr. Brady’s opinion, what makes this book great is that it will teach you how to feel other people’s pain that you haven’t felt for yourself and to understand something about the world that you’ve never known before. All in all, this is a great book to consider reading, especially if you’re feeling a desire to read fantasy.

Hopefully, after all this, you found yourself a new book to read from all of your own teachers’ recommendations. Keep pursuing your love for books and influence others with your burning passion. Happy reading!