San Jose’s Absurdist Treasure: Goofball Gallery

Previously Published Jan. 5, 2023
At San Jose’s most cultivated and attractive museum, you will experience a Postmodernist, Absurdist, even Communist art journey. Curated by Mr. Bryan Meyerowitz, the exhibit features a treasure trove of priceless plastic laminated graphic prints. From Leninist propaganda to Homer Simpson-ified paintings complemented by thought-out informational placards, this gallery will please even the most scrutinizing critics.
Located in the East Wing of the museum, the Goofball Gallery is located in Exhibition Room 236. All it takes is to step foot in the door and embark on a Postmodernist journey. Ignore Mr. Meyerowitz’s attempt to keep you out, and sneak into the room with whatever means necessary.

In the gallery show hosted, Mr. Meyerowitz showed viewers his collection. Integrating the bright red pillars and fire alarm, the exhibit lineup is similar to no other.

Meyerowitz was eager and thoughtful in discussing the gallery’s ties to Postmodernism, going in depth regarding its four pillars: commodification, irony, pastiche, and parody.

The exhibition contains just a sprinkle of Totalitarian Art, with Soviet and Fascist propaganda scattered around the room.

The museum curator noted his habit of leaning back on the walls with his foot. The informational placard has become nearly unreadable over time, perhaps becoming art itself.

(Yearly passes can be purchased for $35,700.)