Interview for the Fall Play—Men on Boats

Name: KJ (‘27)

Role(s): Johnson, Mr. Asa, puppeteer 

Q: Hello! We’re Caroline and Janelle from the BISV Quill, and we were wondering if you would do a short interview with us about the fall play? 

KJ: Yeah, sure. 

Q: Alright, thanks! First of all, why did you choose to audition for this play?

KJ: I think that drama is a very interesting experience. Well, I moved to the US a year ago from China, and when I was in China, I’ve been in many musicals. 

Q: Ohhh…so you’re very experienced in this aspect?

KJ: I’m sort of experienced, but not 100%. 

Q: Impressive! And what did you enjoy the most or the least while practicing for this play?

KJ: Well, the play itself is very interesting. It’s sort of a historical comedy set in America where a military officer leads other people to chart the Colorado River. There’s a lot of humor in the play, and it was a fun experience. 

Q: That certainly seems like a fun drama to perform. For you personally, what did you learn from this experience?

KJ: I learned more about teamwork and how individual efforts can pull an entire play together. I also took a class taught by Mr. Juarez where we worked on props. 

Q: Teamwork is a big one for sure. Did you have a favorite line from your character?

KJ: “This was your story” is a line I say in the last scene as Mr. Asa. His appearance and words sum up the entire exhibition–even though there have been many challenges, they’ve made their mark on society and their efforts have been recognized. 

Q: Very deep and meaningful… Last but not least, in one sentence, convince the BISV community to come watch this play. 

*KJ thinks for a while before coming up with an answer*

KJ: It’s a comical adaption of a historical event!

Name: Aviva (‘27)

Role(s): Andrew Hall – mapmaker

Q: Hello! Would you be willing to be interviewed?

A: Sure! 

Q: Alright, so for starters, why did you choose to audition for this play?

A: I was in the musical last year, and I liked how our groups became really close to each other.

*Looking around the room, everyone does seem very friendly, and there is a feeling of togetherness*

Q: What did you enjoy the most while practicing for this play?

*Aviva deliberately thinks as she listens to Reva, her friend’s answer*

A: Hmmm…I’m not really sure, but maybe the random funny moments in the play?

Q: Ahhh…makes sense. So, what did you learn from this experience?

A: I learned that being a part of this play is a really big commitment. It always felt like rehearsals went on forever, but they were so enjoyable!

Q: That sounds like a lot of time put into the play, so I’m sure it’s gonna turn out wonderfully! So, about your character, Andrew Hall, what is your favorite line from him?

*Aviva flips through her script vigorously and a few moments later…*

A: “I’m Andrew Hall. I don’t have time for this sort of thing.”

*We, as interviewers, laugh at the character of Andrew Hall. The Quill is certainly excited to see the appearance of Andrew Hall in the play!*

Q: And, last but not least, in one sentence, convince the BISV community to come watch this play. 

A: Everyone put a lot of effort into [the play] and the actors are really talented!

Name: Reva (‘29)

Role(s): William Robert Hopkins – cook

Q: Hi! Do you mind if we interview you? 

R: Yes, of course!

Q: Alright, first things first, why did you choose to audition for this play?

R: Um…well…I didn’t have many extracurriculars, and I joined this play to fill up my extracurriculars. My mom was also disappointed that I didn’t try out last year, so, you know…why not? 

Q: I see…what did you enjoy the most while practicing for this play?

R: You know…a lot of this play is historically accurate. This play turns something serious into something funny, and I love that. 

Q: So…you like the comedic aspect of this play? 

R: Yes, I guess so. 

Q: I see, so what did you learn from your experience?

R: Yeah, [like Aviva], I also learned that I have to be really committed. This play meets 3 days a week for rehearsals, and, because of that, I need to skip clubs…but…it’s worth it though!

Q: I’m sure this play is gonna be amazing then! I’m looking forward to it. What’s your favorite line from your character?

*Reva takes no hesitation in her answer and responds almost immediately*

R: I guess…“Fish are dumb.”

Q: Haha, I love that too! Lastly, in one sentence, convince the BISV community to come to watch this play.

*Reva stops for a brief moment, thinking…*

R: The serious and comical aspect is really nice, and it is a nice contrast to all the pressure at BISV!

Name: Marrie Fung (‘27) – artist/prop maker

*We approach the stage as we see an artist peacefully painting on the canyons for one of the stage props, behind all the actors…*

Q: Hello! Sorry to bother you, but do you have some time for the Quill Interview?

M: Uh, yeah I guess…sure!

Q: Ok! First of all, how did you decide on the stage design to match the overall atmosphere or theme of the play?

M: Well…I wasn’t the one who came up with this idea. Someone else, I think Mr. Ear, decided on the references that I’m currently using. I’m just trying to fill it in. 

Q: Cool! So, what challenges did you face while doing this and how did you manage to solve them?

M: There are just general colors that are missing. I’m bad at color theory, so I just improvise…Sometimes I get it right but other times, I don’t because the color that the audience sees depends on the lighting. 

Q: Oh…so you have to adjust the colors to fit the lighting of the play? 

*Marrie points to a section that they are currently working on*

M: Yeah…In white light, this is purplish red, but, in a different light, it can be a completely different color. Sometimes, you get the color, but you have no idea how it will come across with stage lighting. 

Q: That seems like a fascinating experience though as it is something that you will not usually encounter! What makes your design choices unique or different from others?

M: Hmm…The props in this play have been primarily nature-based. Last year, there were a lot of set designs that didn’t involve canyons, which are present in the majority of the play this year. This play is called Men on Boats, not Men on Canyons, so I’m not sure why they chose canyons, but yeah…

Q: Haha, I guess because it’s nature.

M: Yeah, maybe. Who knows…

Q: Well, either way, the canyons look cool! So, please use one sentence to convince the BISV community to come watch this play.

M: 15 dollars for canyons, very worth it!

*The Quill certainly agrees! Watching the play would be the equivalent of traveling to the Grand Canyon, which would cost wayyyy more than 15 dollars, so go watch the play (unless you want to be broke…)!*

Name: Jack Zhu (‘27)

Role(s): William Dunn

Q: Hello! Do you mind if we do a quick interview for the Quill? 

J: Yeah, no problem. 

Q: So…to begin, why did you audition for this play?

J: I just like drama. Yeah…It’s kind of fun. 

Q: Do you do drama outside of school too or no?

J: Not yet…but I plan to during this summer. 

Q: And is this your first time doing a BISV production? 

J: No, I’ve done the past two ones…the past two ones I could, so Anonymous in 7th grade and the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee in 8th. 

Q: That’s very cool! So…um…why did you choose this specific…uh…o shoot sorry…haha…

*Nervous laughter filled the hallways. Whoops, that was definitely not a mistake on The Quill’s part!*

J: I believe in you!

Q: What did you enjoy the most or the least while practicing for this play? 

J: uh…hm…good question.

*Jack is certainly a very insightful person, as, being the great, professional reporters we are, the questions we ask are all obviously well-thought and expert-leveled!*

J: Honestly, like…there’s a scene where a snake shows up and we all just freak out about it and it’s like really fun because I just get to scream all day. And…least enjoyed…I don’t know. 

Q: Is the snake like a prop?

J: Yes. It’s like a prop snake. 

Q: I see. So, what did you learn from this experience?

J: Um…ok so this is my first major role and it’s not a surprising amount, but it’s still a lot of work and it’s a lot of time and commitment that go into this. 

Q: Of course. Um…what is your favorite line from your character? You can think about it for a while. 

J: Yeah, hold on, what are my lines…

*Jack immerses himself in deep thought while we patiently wait…*

J: I don’t know actually. 

Q: Oh ok. That’s fine. Last but not least, in one sentence, convince the BISV community to come watch this play. 

J: Hold on…

Q: You can also think about this for a while. No worries, haha!

J: Come to Men on Boats—it’s a bunch of men on boats! 

Q: Haha! I like that, I like that! It’s very real. Thank you!

Dora Li (‘27)

Role(s): Seneca Howland

Q: Hi! Would you be open for a quick interview? 

D: Okay. 

Q: So…for starters, why did you audition for this play?

D: Uh…that’s a good question.

*It is, indeed, a good question. We’ll take that as a compliment!*

D: Um…I guess I saw Jack over there, so he’s Dunn. I saw he was doing it, so I was like oh ok, I’ll just come along with you cuz…acting is fun.

Q: Haha. Accurate! So, what did you enjoy the most or the least while practicing for this play? 

D: The drowning scenes.

*Dora seems very definite with her answer! The Quill will surely be looking forward to that section of the play!*

Q: That’s understandable. Were they very sad or emotional or…?

D: No, it’s just you perform it with like…slow motion, which is very hard and you try not to laugh on the floor. 

Q: Haha. So, what did you learn from this experience?

D: Uh…hm…the boats are heavier than they look. I don’t know…

Q: That’s a very interesting insight! I feel like…yes! What’s your favorite line from your character?

D: Uh…You insinuate something about my brother. The context is like…where like we’re getting ready to fight cuz like someone insulted my brother and I’m like overprotective. And…yeah…

Q: Ah, nice! Last but not least, in one sentence, convince the BISV community to come watch this play. 

D: Hm…Come watch people drown in fake water while doing it in slow motion because [BISV] is too poor to get real water!

*The Quill is more than ready to see that! Get ready to laugh at their slow-motion drowning!*

Name: Sia Mehdiratta (‘26)

Roles(s): Stage Manager, Lights

Q: Would you be willing to do a quick interview for the Quill? 

S: Sure!

Q: So first of all, how did you decide on the lighting and stage design to match the overall atmosphere and theme of this play? 

S: Oh! We kind of just look at the scene and try to see what emotion we want to bring to it other than what the actors have, and we use that in the lights. 

Q: So did you get to choose the lighting yourself or was it-

S: Yeah!

Q: Oh cool! That’s very cool! What challenges did you guys face during the production process? 

S: Uhm…well I didn’t know how to do the lights and all…

Q: Ohhhh…so you learned from scratch?

S: I mean, I had a general idea from last year. I wasn’t doing lights–I was just stage-managing, but I knew the person who did lights. 

Q: How difficult was it? 

S: Once you get to know it, it’s not that bad, it’s kinda fun…yeah. 

Q: Nice. What makes your design choices unique or different from others? 

S: I think…I have a pretty good knowledge of colors that work together and which ones don’t.

Q: Ah, I see how that could be useful. Do you do art? 

S: Yeah, I do!

Q: Cool, cool. What was the most memorable moment of this process? 

S: I think it’s not one specific moment, but the cast is really fun and just talking to them is the best. 

Q: Definitely! Last but not least, in one sentence, convince the BISV community to come watch this play. 

S: It’s a new and thrilling experience!