’24 BISV Senior College Application Interviews and Advice: Maya Sriram

AP Physics and college, DECA advice
24 BISV Senior College Application Interviews and Advice: Maya Sriram
Disclaimer: This interview consists of opinions based on different experiences from different students. While this publication may be used to gain some insight into the college app process, please remember that there is no “perfect formula” for getting into college and college applications vary by person. What works for one person may not work for another! Use your best judgment when taking advice from these interviews.
All interviews with The Quill are done with permission from the students. In order to protect their privacy, they may opt to be anonymous or just use their initials.

Alina: Hi Maya! We are currently in the cafeteria. What are you doing at the moment?

Maya: I’m watching the Bee movie [she’s not].

Alina [laughing]: Now that it’s January, do you have any college apps to finish?

Maya: I’m actually applying to Hustlers University [Andrew Tate…?], so that should go in soon. [pause, then with Cindy] According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. The wings are too small!

Alina: Thank you, Maya, for this piece of advice. Moving on to the actual interview…

Maya [to “biggest pieces of advice?”]: Take AP Physics C if you think you can handle it. A lot of colleges, especially if you’re applying to engineering, like you to take the highest physics courses offered by your school.

Alina: And AP Physics 2 isn’t counted as much?

Maya: I mean it depends—sometimes Physics C is used as a higher prerequisite, so it’s more useful that way, but it’s just better to show that you’re interested in that topic. Sometimes, schools may even value that over CS [Computer Science], like AP CS A courses; they’d rather you take some kind of high physics courses [or] math courses, so make sure you focus on those areas too (especially if you want to apply as a STEM major).

Alina: Do you have any DECA advice? [For context, Maya is the 2023-2024 Co-President of DECA and a multiple-time ICDC (Internationals) qualifier]

Maya: Don’t be afraid about your public speaking skills—it’s more of a one-on-one conversation [that] teaches you more [about] how to communicate your ideas, form business plans, and it’s more about that than speaking to an audience.

Alina: How would you recommend learning how to do that?

Maya: You pay $40/hour for my specialized Hustlers University service.

Alina: LOL ok thank you Maya!