The Resurgence of ‘90s Fashion – Staples that are Making a Comeback this Fall: Part I

Previously Published Sep. 22, 2022
This past year the fashion industry has seen a revival of ‘90s classic staples, with fashion trends like low-waisted jeans and studded jackets making a comeback. It’s no surprise that the public has been anticipating what’s to come this fall season. From cardigans to cargos, retailers have begun to stock for a season which is full of trends resurging from those that were popular decades ago. To better predict the latest fashion “ins” and avoid fashion “outs,” the Quill is here to help!
All Things Cargo:
Cargos have made a substantial comeback since the 90s. With their loose fit and baggy appearance, they are excellent for a more laid-back, urban look. The word cargo comes from its signature large pockets, which allows for a more practical fit, thus coining the term “cargo” pants.
Sweater Weather:
Sweaters have consistently been the cornerstone of fall fashion. As the season begins, sweater vests, cardigans, and knitted comfort wear rack up the aisles of the retail industry. Designers have reinvented the classic cardigans of the nineties with the “tie front cardigan,” which carries the fabric of the cardigan laterally from the body to the front while wrapping it into a decorative bow.

Color Block:
Color block is being reintroduced in patchwork denim and stitched apparel. Back in the 2000s popular icons like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake sported the color block designs rooted in the ‘90s, which brought rise to the public demand for such clothing. Currently in the 2020s, ‘90s fashion has now been deemed “vintage.” With the increase in the number of influencers in the media, ‘90s fashion has been popularized, and color blocked clothing has resurfaced accordingly.

The above is only a portion of the revitalization of ‘90s trends. Check back to see Part II of fall predictions on the Quill!