Santa Clara Courthouse Protest

Previously published Feb 26. 2021
Flickr
HarshLight
Flickr

Previously published Feb 26. 2021

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, protestors stood in front of the Santa Clara Courthouse and stopped business in the court for the day. Over 50 protestors gathered around the Santa Clara Courthouse that same day. Six, in particular, sat in front of the courthouse doors, blocking all traffic into the courthouse, stopping all proceedings in the courthouse. These protestors were protesting eviction proceedings, calling to attention the poor’s conditions, who were being evicted while in the COVID-19 pandemic. The protestors argued that evictions were cruel and unnecessary when people were supposed to stay at home to prevent spreading COVID-19.

Despite being from all different parts of the Bay Area, the protestors gathered at the Santa Clara Courthouse because it has the most evictions out of any court in the Bay Area. Three hours later, at 11 AM, police officers dispersed the crowd and arrested the six protestors blocking the door. In addition to protesting at the courthouse doors, these groups have also called on Governor Gavin Newsom and state lawmakers to instate strict limits on counties that are evicting people. The State has responded and has extended the state’s partial eviction moratorium.