President Biden’s Cabinet

Previously published Mar 3. 2021
PICRYL
Executive Office of the President of the United States
PICRYL

Previously published Mar 3. 2021

Who did President Biden pick for his cabinet? What do they hope to accomplish for the country in the next four years? Let’s find out!

Secretary of the Treasury: Janet Yellen

Flickr (IMF_Staff_Photo/Stephen_Jaffe)

The title of “first female” within the current administration belongs not only to Vice President Harris. Janet Yellen is our first female Secretary of the Treasury, previously our first female Chair of the Federal Reserve, and the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank’s first female president. In large part, Dr. Yellen’s policies ensured the economy had a fast and full recovery from the Great Recession. Dr. Yellen is a “dove” on monetary policy but a bit of a “fiscal hawk,” meaning she is more concerned with unemployment than inflation and has expressed concern about debt.

Secretary of State: Antony Blinken

Flickr

National Security Council from 1994 to 2001; Senate Foreign Relation Committee 2002 – 2008, helped then-Senator Biden in formulating support of US invasion of Iraq; 2009 – 2013 National Security Advisor to then-VP Biden, assisting in policy regarding Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran’s nuclear program. Blinken stated during his confirmation hearing that the State Department would keep the American Embassy in Israel in Jerusalem. He plays guitar and has songs on Spotify under the name ABlinken (pronounced “Abe Lincoln”).

Secretary of Defense: Lloyd J. Austin III

Flickr (23012021-A-CN110-002)

Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III made history and the first Black man ever to be appointed and confirmed to Secretary of Defense’s position. His career is filled with a list of firsts, including the first Black Vice Chief of Staff for the U.S. Army and the first Black commander of U.S. Central Command. Austin graduated from West Point United States Military Academy, received a Master of Education at Auburn University, and a Master of Arts in Business Management from Webster University.

Attorney General nominee: Merrick Garland

PICRYL (medium.com)

Judge Merrick Garland was the former Chief Justice of the United States Court of Appeals in the District of Columbia Circuit. He served on the court since 1997 and became the chief judge in 2013 before his retirement in 2020. On March 16, 2016, former President Barack Obama nominated him to fill the Supreme Court’s vacancy left by Justice Antonin Scalia. Still, his nomination was returned to the president without a vote by the adjournment of the 114th Congress.