Legally Blonde 3 Announced

Previously published Feb. 4, 2021
Eva Rinaldi

Previously published Feb. 4, 2021

Attention, attention!! Your favorite blonde Harvard graduate dressed in stylish pink is back! That’s right, the release for Legally Blonde 3 has officially been announced for May 2022. Legally Blonde is one of the all time favorite comedies of the Gen Z/Millennial generations, and it’s a classic.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the plot, after getting dumped by her boyfriend, Warner, who then goes to Harvard, Elle Woods decides to change her life around. A girl who most people think is all looks and no brains, Elle studies hard and eventually lands herself in Harvard law to get Warner back. The first film in the franchise was a huge success, grossing $141 million worldwide in 2001. Soon after, the second film was released in 2003. Now, after 17 years of waiting, we finally get to see the one and only Elle Woods back in action. The release date was confirmed through a virtual meeting between Reese Witherspoon, who played Elle, and many original cast members, including Matthew Davis, who played Warner, and Jennifer Coulridge, who played Paulette amongst others.

There are tons of exciting things that are coming with this new installment. There will definitely be some original cast members who will reprise their roles in the upcoming movie, including of course, the amazing Reese Witherspoon, but many are yet to be revealed. Mindy Kaling, who starred in her own show, The Mindy Project and who created the relatively new Netflix series, Never Have I Ever, will co write the screenplay with the Brooklyn Nine-Nine creator Dan Goor. When asked about Legally Blonde 3 at an interview at The Hollywood Reporter, Reese Witherspoon said the movie will be “so much fun. So full of fashion. So full of awesome feminist ideas. It will be global. It will have animals. It will have returning cast members. We just need to film it first. But that’s my hope and dream for Legally Blonde 3.”

Though the return of Elle Woods is still yet to come, for now we’ll celebrate this exciting news by rewatching the original Legally Blonde movie with our friends and family this weekend on Hulu. I know I will. Any objections?