Get up!

Get+up%21

I’m super shy, super shy .” If you’re wondering whether you’ve heard that before, I can guarantee that most of you already know the chorus. This song, “Super Shy,” is performed by NewJeans, which is a popular K-pop group that recently debuted in 2022. NewJeans has 5 members: Minji, Haerin, Hyein, Danielle, and Hanni. Most of them have written one or two songs, except for Hyein. They are currently number 21 on the Billboard Artist 100.

Their newest album is called “Get Up.” The concept of this album is love and consists of the songs “New Jeans,” “ETA,” “Super Shy,” “Cool With You,” “ASAP,” and “Get Up.” The whole album is 12 minutes and 13 seconds, with each song having its own unique meaning. According to Allkpop, “Super Shy” is the 5th most popular song on TikTok. “Super Shy” is one of NewJeans’ fifth top listened-to songs on Spotify other than “OMG,” “Ditto,” “Hype Boy,” and “Attention.”

“Super Shy” was the first song released in the album, and Danielle wrote part of this song. It became famous surprisingly quickly, becoming number 2 on the Billboard Global 200. This song includes Jersey Club rhythm and Breakbeat. The song’s movement is mostly waacking, which includes a lot of arm movements and are often very energetic that originated from LGBT clubs in Los Angeles.

NewJeans’ song “ETA” was the second song released and had a collaboration with Apple in which they filmed their entire song using iPhone 14 Pro. Apple has included the “Get Up” album in their Apple Music. This is one of their three title tracks. Its lyrics give off a worried and nervous tone, while the music background gives off a cheerful vibe. Other than pop, it is also under the genre of Baltimore club. The movements in the choreography are really sharp. 

“Cool With You” is the third song released, and Danielle is one of the people who wrote it. The song’s rhythm is UK Garage and is really relaxing. The choreography is very smooth and connected. 

The song “New Jeans” was partly written by Haerin as a collaboration with Powerpuff Girls and is the fourth song of the album. It gives off quite a refreshing vibe. The rhythm of the music is a switch between UK Garage and Jersey Club. 

Unlike the others, “Get Up” is not a full song, lasting only 36 seconds, and was the fourth song released. Even though it is short, it left a good first impression on me. The song sounds a bit like “Cool With You” in the sense that they are both chill. 

And lastly, “ASAP,” the last song released, was partly written by Danielle. The rhythm consists of Synth Sounds. The movements in the song are small and fast-paced, making it feel rushed but also calming. 

Overall, the album “Get Up” is a big hit, and many people know about these songs. In total, there are eleven versions of the physical album. It consists of six “Bunny Beach Bag,” two “The POWERPUFF GIRLS X NJ Box,”and three Weverse. Other than albums, they also have a lot of other merchandise, like light sticks, hoodies, phone cases, and more. Be sure to check them out!

Credits:

“NewJeans > Merch.” Weverse Shop – All Things for Fans, weverseshop.io/en/shop/GL_USD/artists/82/categories/1134?page=1. Accessed 28 Sept. 2023.

“Newjeans (뉴진스) – Get Up.” Genius, genius.com/Newjeans-get-up-lyrics. Accessed 28 Sept. 2023.

“Genius English Translations – Newjeans – Cool with You (English Translation).” Genius, genius.com/Genius-english-translations-newjeans-cool-with-you-english-translation-lyrics. Accessed 28 Sept. 2023.

“Genius English Translations – Newjeans – Eta (English Translation).” Genius, genius.com/Genius-english-translations-newjeans-eta-english-translation-lyrics. Accessed 28 Sept. 2023.

“Genius English Translations – Newjeans – Super Shy (English Translation).” Genius, genius.com/Genius-english-translations-newjeans-super-shy-english-translation-lyrics. Accessed 28 Sept. 2023.

Official, Kpop. “[Update] Newjeans ‘ASAP’ Lyrics, Meaning, Song Credits.” KPOP OFFICIAL, 22 Aug. 2023, kpopofficial.com/newjeans-asap-lyrics-meaning-and-song-credits/.

Meaning of Get up by NewJeans (뉴진스) – Songtell.Com, www.songtell.com/newjeans/get-up. Accessed 28 Sept. 2023.

Official, Kpop. “[Update] Newjeans ‘Super Shy’ Lyrics, Meaning, Song Credits.” KPOP OFFICIAL, 7 July 2023, kpopofficial.com/newjeans-super-shy-lyrics-meaning-and-song-credits/.

Official, Kpop. “NewJeans ‘Cool with You’ Lyrics, Meaning, Song Credits.” KPOP OFFICIAL, 22 Aug. 2023, kpopofficial.com/newjeans-cool-with-you-lyrics-meaning-and-song-credits/.

Official, Kpop. “NewJeans ‘New Jeans’ Lyrics, Meaning, and Song Credits.” KPOP OFFICIAL, 7 July 2023, kpopofficial.com/newjeans-new-jeans-lyrics-meaning-and-song-credits/.

“What Is ‘Waacking’? “Waacking Is a Form of Street Dance Created in the LGBT Clubs of Los Angeles during the 1970s Disco Era. the Style Is Typically Done…: By Deaf Queer Resource Center.” Facebook, www.facebook.com/deafqueer/videos/what-is-waackingwaacking-is-a-form-of-street-dance-created-in-the-lgbt-clubs-of-/606488994173337/. Accessed 28 Sept. 2023.